This is a professional position working in the oversight, supervision and coordination of all maintenance functions and minor construction projects within the Parks system. These sites include: Gring’s Mill, Heritage Center, Youth Recreation Facility, Antietam Lake Park, Allegheny Aqueduct, Berks Leisure Area, Union Canal Bicycle and Walking Trail and the Red Bridge Recreation Area. This position manages and coordinates daily activities by determining manpower, equipment, and material needs for specific jobs by providing instruction, guidance and inspection of final results.
1. Supervises maintenance staff: organizes maintenance crews, directs work, supervises productivity, keeps records and processes all personnel related business.
2. Supervises the work involved in completing routine and preventative work along with projects. Inspects areas to determine the nature of work required.
3. Procures maintenance supplies, materials and equipment as needed.
4. Maintains proper records and files including records of maintenance employees, reports, accident reports, work orders, equipment repairs and inventories.
5. Monitors and coordinates work performed in all Park areas with contractors and vendors.
6. Coordinates maintenance requirements for recreational programs and events that occur as planned by the Department staff and outside groups as needed.
7. Interpret and implementation of Parks Master Plans in regard to maintenance needs.
8. Manage Integrated Pest Management program.
9. Work in cooperation with the Parks Ranger Supervisor to oversee the operation and functions of all security and alarm systems.
10. Oversee light carpentry and construction projects
11. Required to respond to afterhours alarm calls and emergency maintenance needs outside of normal business hours.
12. Manages risk and Public safety in regards to facilities and grounds; conduct safety inspections and make recommendations.
13. Monitors and conforms to all DEP requirements.
14. Assists in preparation and information gathering for capital and operation budgets.
15. Oversee coordination, supervision, in-service training, scheduling and hiring of full time and seasonal park maintenance staff.
16. Works with established volunteer groups to develop cooperative projects for maintenance and improvement projects along with other Department staff.
17. Oversees the planning, care and removal of trees, shrubs, grasses and flowers in all Parks areas.
18. Attends workshops and special training seminars to increase knowledge and better practices of Department functions.
19. Attend appropriate County and committee meetings.
20. Physical presence required in the office.
21. Other duties as required or assigned.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Park Maintenance, Turfgrass Science, Landscaping, Forestry or related field.
2. Two (2) years of related experience in management.
3. Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
4. PA Department of Agriculture Pesticide certification in categories 6,7, 23, 24 preferred or ability to obtain within 6 months.
5. Parks and Recreation Professional Certification preferred.
6. National Playground Safety Institute certification preferred.
7. Current CPR/First Aid/AED Certification or the ability to obtain certification
8. Valid PA Driver’s License.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Knowledge of associated tools, materials, supplies, and equipment.
2. Knowledge of the grounds maintenance industry.
3. Knowledge of the construction, maintenance and operations of the facilities.
4. Knowledge of safety laws and requirements.
5. Knowledge of various park locations, the amenities offered, planning requirements, logistics and execution.
6. Knowledge of construction drawings and specifications.
7. Ability to plan, guides, manages, and directs maintenance work and personnel.
8. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
9. Demonstrated skill in the use of various computer programs including Microsoft Word and Excel.
1. Ability to work extended hours.
2. Ability to lift 50 - 100 lbs., bend, stoop, climb and reach.
3. Ability to walk at various intervals.
4. Ability to aid or lift people in need
This position will require both office and field work and may experience the following:
1. Position requires availability for emergencies during varied work shifts including weekends, holidays, and evenings.
2. Potential for working in hazardous situations.
3. Requires responding to calls in low or no light conditions and usually alone.
4. May be required to work outside and will be exposed to variable weather conditions – extreme heat, cold, ice, snow and rain.
5. Will work at various sites as assigned.
6. Occasional contact with domestic and wild animals.
7. Occasional exposure to chemicals and other hazardous materials when performing responsibilities.
8. Casual work attire.
9. Noise level is usually moderate to loud.
It is County policy that all interested candidates complete an application to submit with their resume. If you are interested in continuing further with our hiring process,
please visit our website: http://www.co.berks.pa.us/Dept/HR/Pages/EmploymentOpportunities.aspx to complete and submit an application with your resume per the instructions on the website.
This position description serves as a guideline for communicating the essential functions and other information about the position to the applicant/employee. It is not intended to create a binding employment contract nor cover every detail of the position and may be changed where appropriate.
Deadline Date: Friday, March 8, 2019